Saturday 17 March 2012

Focus at different apertures

DSC2092

DSC2093

DSC2094
The exercise involved taking three shots of the same view, with the focal point around the centre at three different apertures: widest (DSC2094), mid-range (DSC2093), smallest (DSC2092).  The shots were taken in aperture priority so the camera automatically set the appropriate shutter speed for the light conditions.  The results of this exercise aren't very clear; even in the printed versions there is not a great contrast at the limits of sharpness.  In fact, once printed (and I had muddled the order up), I couldn't tell which image was taken at which aperture.  In fact, from the images loaded, I can only tell that the smallest aperture has the darkest sky and the widest aperture has the lightest sky; so at least I've learnt that if I want to capture a more dramatic sky I should use a higher f-number!  This exercise needs to be repeated with another subject - maybe a row of objects closer together; previous experience has shown better results of this using a zoom lens. And in future, print one at a time, and note the image number.

No comments:

Post a Comment