Sunday 18 March 2012

A sequence of composition

This was fun; I loved it!  Being a bad weather day, I wanted an indoor setting; so on my way home from Kew Gardens, I grabbed a coffee at Richmond station and plonked myself down in a strategic position to photograph passengers as they walked through the ticket barrier.  I wanted to choose people who were wearing or carrying something interesting, or who stopped to do something.  I shot 36 images in all and it was actually quite hard, as for one thing people don't keep still (and the light was poor so I needed a fairly slow shutter speed), and secondly they moved in tides as trains came in and out of the station, so there were concentrated bursts of activity.  I would have carried on until my memory was full, but a station employee approached me to check that I wasn't taking photos of the station.....I want to try this execise again somewhere else, maybe Spitalfields Market one lunchtime.  Although I can see that doing this exercise at a ceremony would be better as there would be a story to tell, rather than a random set of photographs.  I have uploaded below the most interesting images out of the sequence; I like the blurred ones as they convey movement and urgency to get on the train.  There was also a good deal of camera shake as I'm sure I was jerking the camera out of a sense of urgency to take the shots before I got stopped.  In one of the images, two people have been captured walking in opposite directions: the result is almost spectral. There is even one picture of a blonde gentleman at the barrier that looks like he's been panned, although I have no idea how I did that!  Maybe excellent use of aperture....






















No comments:

Post a Comment