Monday 23 July 2012

Creative Digital Photography by Chris Gatcum

This is an imaginative book comprising of 52 weekend projects designed to teach creative photography.  I have learnt on the course that creative is not necessarily about changing things in production, but is more about original thinking.  However, this book teaches that creative is about tampering with the taking process or with the production process to achieve artistic results.  I found it quite interesting to read, however, now is not the right time to focus on such trickery - I need to get exposure right before I start playing!

This said, the Gatcum mentions HDR imaging, which I have previously commented on, that would improve the final result in situations of questionable weather (and difficult exposure), and in addition, the projects relating to water droplets, diffraction star effects (using a small aperture at night), zoom burst and star trails are ones to try (watch this space!).  I also found the projects on digital cross processing, TTV and small world very appealing........

Maybe I will be giving this book more attention than I previously thought.

Of course, none of this is an excuse for poor composition!

No comments:

Post a Comment