Saturday 28 July 2012

Street Photography Now by Sophie Howarth and Stephen McLaren

Recommended by my tutor, this is an incredible collection of images and discussion about Street Photography (or "sidewalk botany") that introduces the perspectives of portraits, either candid or composed, or still life or both within an image and the fact that the photographers are in fact great walkers and anthropologists - is street photography therefore an art, a science or a sport?  The overriding theme is that a street photographer is attempting to capture ordinary every day life, but from an unusual perspective.  The book also captures the transition from the traditional centres of street photography: London, Paris, New York, to new ones located in China, India, Africa, and Eastern Europe.  I also found the debate between whether the photographer should remain invisible or should he/she interact with the subjects interesting.  Each photographer presented had a different style and approach to their art.

My decision to study this book now was based on the fact that over the next two weeks I will be walking to and from Waterloo Station to get to my office and back, due to the Olympic congestion, and so this is a great opportunity for me to practice.  The results of those daily journeys are captured here.

I liked all the photographers presented and discussed, but if I had to single out one, it would be Matt Stuart and his photos shot in London in 2206 that are featured on both the front and back covers; apart from the the stunning visuality, both images are also amusing.  In Trafalgar Square, http://www.mattstuart.com/photographs/colour/04-TRAFALGAR-SQUARE, Stuart has captured an unusual ground level aspect of a pigeon and various people walking through the frame.  The continuation of the feet into the background is interesting and I really like the colour scheme, which is almost monochrome, apart from the red feet that draw your attention.  Also interesting is the cropping of the pigeon's head - so the image really is about feet - and that the pigeon is also walking out of the frame.

Stuart's Bond Street, http://www.mattstuart.com/photographs/colour/10-NEW-BOND-STREET, is a photo that I wish I'd seen and taken myself.  I think the blue and yellow work well together and there is a look of surprise in the peacock's face.

On the theme of humour, another photographer that particularly stood out is Melanie Einzig.  The three images presented were all humourous, but from a point of view that the humourous elements were all out of place within their context.  I found it interesting that she believes her best images are shot on the way to and from work; so there is hope for me yet!  I really liked "Six Train" shot in New York in 2004, http://www.witnessx.com/street/new-york/ image number 11.  I love the fact that the man in yellow seems to be making his next outfit, and that no one else on the train appears interested in him.  This really seems to be the essence of street photography: finding something unusual or out of place that has the appearance to eveyone else of being perfectly normal.

I also liked Nils Jorgensen's take on the tube: the positioning of the faces above the tube train, and the symmetrical composition is perfect!  And also, again, as often seen in truly striking image, a simple colour scheme of red, white (or light grey), shades of brown and a bit of blue.  The image in question was featured in The Independent newspaper http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/features/urban-explorers-a-new-festival-celebrating-street-photography-illustrates-how-technology-is-blurring-the-genre-2294674.html?action=gallery&ino=8


It was interesting to see the images by Mimi Mollica shot in Dakar, Senegal, as I lived and worked there for a period of time in the 90s (unfortunately I no longer have my photos); in addition, the City of London photos by Nick Turpin resonated with me as the context is so familiar being photographs of the "City" where I've worked since 1987.
I don't think this commentary would be complete without mentioning Joel Meyerowitz and his photo entitled "Five More Found" shot at Ground Zero in New York in 2001.  A stunning and atmospheric image, unusually with the main focus in the centre of the image, and the blue, yellow and red colours really stand out against the dark sombre tones of the background.  This is obviously a scene of intense drama and tragedy, but I think that Meyerowitz dealt with it sympathetically and has created something very evocative.  To view the image, go to BBC Radio 4
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/gallery_meyerowitz.shtml?select=02

Finally, some great truths or mantras are quoted in this book:
  • "Everything I need is in the street.  I can create a beautiful landscape, a social drama, or a very personal, almost abstract photograph."  Arif Asci page20
  • "...Less thinking means better pictures."  Maciej Dakowicz page 35
  • "Above all, street photography communicates empathy.  It shows the elegance, and the occasional absurdities, which in habit the lives of ordinary people".   David Gibson page 50
  • "My picutres are not necessarily pretty, but they do show beautiful moments of the urban jungle".  Markus Hartel page 82
  • "Street photographers never switch off.  You have to be constantly on the lookout for the unreal moment in the every day."  Jesse Marlow page 112
  • "I am forever chasing light.  Light turns the ordinary into the magical".  Trent Parke page 143
This is definitely a book that I will keep coming back to!  And now all I need is a t-shirt with a slogan saying "I am a photographer!" to fend off angry subjects....

No comments:

Post a Comment